Sweet Chilli Prawns – Two ways!
Sweet, succulent King Prawns, a kick of chilli and crunchy sesame seeds. My Sweet Chilli Prawns are the perfect speedy snack to serve with drinks when guests turn up unexpectedly or, with some dressed sushi rice, you can turn the snack into a fully-fledged feast!
Sesame Sweet Chilli Prawns: The Canapé…
Don’t you hate it when you’ve just snuggled down for the evening in your comfy clothes (or more often than not in may case, my pj’s) and the doorbell goes? It’s not so much being caught in my scruffs that I object to, it’s that I haven’t had the chance to make sure we have anything to offer in terms of libations and snacks.
This little 5 minute wonder is an absolute lifesaver! Just THREE ingredients stand between you and a fabulous little canapé to offer your grateful chums. By the time they’ve had the chance to shed their coats, nip to the loo and make themselves comfortable you will be standing triumphant with G&T’s in hand and a plate of delicious Sweet Chilli Prawns just begging to be skewered and scoffed.
I always keep a bag of frozen prawns in the freezer. They can be defrosted so quickly, by running under warm water, that they’re absolutely perfect for those times when you find yourself caught short with nothing left in the fridge. If you happen to have fresh prawns, then even better!
Sweet chilli sauce is another staple ingredient that I always try to keep in the cupboard. It serves as a great dip and also adds pep to those meals which turn out a little bland.
I keep a jar of sesame seeds in my spice cupboard – although I must confess, I don’t use them that often. They just add a little contrast in texture to this dish which is very pleasing – not to mention the toasty, nutty taste which compliments the prawns so well (let’s face it, we all love a bit of sesame prawn toast don’t we?)
The nigella seeds are an optional extra (which is why I didn’t formally include them as a fourth ingredient!). I love the peppery earthiness which they add, as well as the contrast in colour.
You will need:
(Serves 6 as a snack with drinks)
1 tbs sesame seeds
1/2 tbs nigella seeds
(if you don’t have these just use sesame)
100 ml sweet chilli dipping sauce
250 g king prawns (shelled)
- Put your seeds into a hot, dry frying pan and toast until they become aromatic and the sesame seeds start to turn golden. Don’t leave unattended or they will burn!
- Put the toasted seeds into a bowl and set them aside
- Add the sweet chilli sauce to the hot frying pan and once it is sizzling, mix in the prawns (if you’re using frozen, then make sure they are completely defrosted.
- Stir around for about a minute and then turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes.
- Now place your prawns in a bowl (or on a lettuce leaf as above, which I thought was rather pretty) and sprinkle over the seeds
- Serve with cocktail sticks – or at the very least, kitchen roll for sticky fingers!
Sesame Sweet Chilli Prawns & Sushi Rice
(Serves 2 hungry people)
To turn the above canapé into a satisfying meal for 2 people (and more like 4 if you’re looking for a light lunch), just serve it with some sticky, dressed sushi rice. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, and once it has cooled, fold in a mix of:
3 tbs rice wine vinegar
2 tbs light brown sugar
1 tbs maldon salt