Very British Frozen Strawberries & Cream
I meant to post this recipe over the Wimbledon fortnight – it just seems so fitting as it contains all the great British ingredients that we associate with those two weeks of guaranteed sunshine (yeah right..) and great British tennis (yeah ri…you get the idea…)
Anyhoo, I didn’t get around to it, and I’m certainly not waiting a whole year for the next one so here we are. I think it’s still valid, because while it certainly does have a Wimbledon feel to it, this recipe also represents British summer in general. I mean if you had to name the food and drinks that sum up a British summer for you, wouldn’t strawberries, cream and Pimms be on the list? If you think about it, even the fact that it’s frozen in summer is kinda British too!
This is one of those great recipes that frankly looks and tastes a lot more impressive than it is to make. Serve it to your chums when they come round for dinner and they’ll think you’re ever so clever! I mean, making your own ice cream for goodness sake? Not just your normal, ‘scoop it out’ sort either. Oh no – this is a fancy ice cream loaf that you can slice and present all prettily!
Obviously you’re not bothered about all that nonsense though (yeah ri… ok I’ll stop now), you just want to know if it tastes good! Well I’ll tell you. Yes – it tastes amazing! Of course it does. Didn’t you read what was in it?? Strawberries? Cream (double, no less), Pimms?? I haven’t even mentioned the meringues and shortbread yet have I? Sold? Then read on dear chums….
Strawberries & Cream with a twist – sweet strawberries, a hit (caress?) of Pimms and plentiful nuggets of shortbread, covered in a white blanket of cream & meringue and then frozen to creamy perfection…
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 tbs Pimms
- 70 g shortbread biscuits
- 8 mini meringue nests
- 100 g strawberries
- Line a 1 lb loaf tin with cling film, ensuring that there is enough hanging over for you to cover your ice cream when you're done
- Whisk the cream until it has thickened but is still soft
- Mix in the Pimms
- Crush the meringues into the bowl with your hands (enjoying the sound of walking on fresh snow as you do...)
- Fold it all in with a spatula
- Now crumble in the biscuits, making sure you don't crumble it too fine
- Finally, chop the strawberries into small pieces and add these too
- Fold everything together gently
- Add the mix to your loaf tin and cover it over with the cling film
- Put in the freezer - preferably overnight
- If you have an electric whisk then I definitely recommend using it!
Other yummy ice cream desserts
White Chocolate Ice Cream Sundae with Summer Berries & Fudge Sauce – Lavender & Lovage
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Pie – smitten kitchen
Strawberry & Vanilla Arctic Roll – The Crazy Kitchen
If you’ve enjoyed this post then please do let me know in the comments and share it with your friends. It’ll make a poor struggling food blogger very happy!