Chilli & Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
For those days when the world feels a little cold and too much, this Chilli & Butternut Squash Soup will bring comfort, calm and just the right amount of heat…
It could be argued that October is really the month of the pumpkin but if, like me, you can’t really be bothered with all the carving and general icky preparation, then the Butternut Squash is an excellent alternative.
What other month could this beautiful vegetable belong to with its pale gold skin revealing a brilliant orange core when cut? How welcome, the warmth of those colours as the crisp chill of Autumn creeps in, frosting our breath and reddening our noses?
In need of more meals to make you feel better? Try some of these!
With this soup, the butternut squash (with the help of a fiery kick of chilli) delivers on those colours’ warming promise.
Now, I don’t want to be bossy but the best way to enjoy this soup is curled up on the sofa with a blanket, a steaming bowl clutched greedily in your hands and an old film on the television.
It’s for those days when you think you may feel the onset of the sniffles and frankly the rest of the world can wait. All you need is a comfy little nest, something (or someone) to snuggle up with and a bowl of Chilli & Butternut Squash Soup.
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Red Chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 750 ml Chicken Stock
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C (fan)
- Cut the squash in half and rub 1 tbs of the olive oil on both halves
- Place them on a baking tray and season well
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until soft
- In a large pan, sauté the onion, chilli and thyme in the remaining oil until softened
- Roughly chop the roasted squash and add to the pan
- Now add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes
- Blend until smooth (I use a hand blender for this)
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche or Greek yoghurt