Recipe: Breadcrumb Pesto Crispy Chicken
Faster than fast food?
Well, the Summer holidays are nearly over (sob). As I’m on maternity leave, I’ve been able to have the whole holidays at home with my boys and I’ve loved it! HOWEVER, I’m finding it increasingly tricky to provide tasty, varied meals for lunch AND supper. I confess, we’ve resorted to MacDonald’s more often than a respectable food blogger who keeps banging on about home cooked meals, should!
So here, to redeem myself, is a great Maccy D’s replacement. If you make up a big batch of the pesto breadcrumbs (or breadcrumb pesto? I can’t decide…) in advance, then I would go so far as to say that this meal is as quick to whip up as it would be to get the kids in the car and drive to buy a Happy Meal.
Makes enough to coat 200 g chicken (see recipe below)
You will need:
4 oz stale white bread with crusts cut off
Large bunch of basil
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
30 g Parmesan
1 clove garlic
- Break the bread into chunks
- Grate the Parmesan or cut into chunks, depending on the power of your blender
- Roughly chop the garlic
- Shove all the ingredients into a blender and blitz until you have beautiful, aromatic breadcrumbs
Breadcrumb Pesto Crispy Chicken
Makes enough for 3 hungry kids or 2 adults
You will need
The breadcrumbs as above
200 g Chicken goujons (or chicken breast cut into strips)
Mayonnaise for dipping (3-4 tbs should do the job)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 C & grease or line a baking tray
- Take each goujon and coat in the mayonnaise and then roll in the breadcrumbs until covered
- Place the goujons on your baking tray and bake for about 30 mins until crispy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside
For a delicious chicken burger, just add to a burger bun with some fresh crispy lettuce and a dollop of ketchup mixed with a dollop of mayo. YUMMERS.
Want more ways to use your breadcrumbs? Never fear, I have some great breadcrumb recipes just for you!
What do you think?
Would this be quicker for you than going out for take out?