Recipe: Quick & Easy Weekday Chilli
I love this recipe – it’s another of my Mum’s and just the thought of it fills me with a sense of well-being! It’s so quick and easy but the result is a rich, flavoursome, warming bowl of chilli. Just what the doctor ordered after a tiring day when you want something comforting, wholesome and above all, hassle free.
The chilli needs about 30 minutes to simmer but the actual preparation time is only about 10 minutes – can’t argue with that!
Quick & Easy Weekday Chilli
Serves 8 (ie. enough for a family of four to freeze half and have another day!)
You will need:
1 tbs olive oil
2 large, finely chopped onions
500 g minced beef
1 chopped pepper (optional – feel free to miss if there’s a pepper hater in your family!)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 x 400g tin tomatoes
1 tin kidney beans
2 tbs ground cumin
2 tbs paprika
1-2 fresh chillis OR 1-2 tsp chilli powder (depending on how hot you like it!)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion
- Gently sauté the onion and pepper for about 5 minutes and then add the crushed garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add the minced beef and the spices and stir until the beef is browned (approx 2 minutes)
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the rinsed and strained kidney beans
- Bring to a gentle simmer and then cover and cook gently for a further 30 minutes
I love this meal with nutty brown rice, grated Cheddar and a big dollop of Greek yoghurt. It’s a bit unorthodox, but I also love it served with broccoli. Don’t laugh – just try it! Milk is my beverage of choice. It’s what I had as a kid and now it just feels right.
Alternatively, you can just go the more traditional route of white rice or jacket potato, maybe some sour cream, guacamole and cheesy nachos…oh, and a cold beer or a large glass of red. It’s all goooood!
Like this recipe?
Then please do hit the like button and share with your friends! It’s much appreciated 🙂