Crispy Baked Chicken with Sweet Potato Fries
That satisfying crunch, through the crispy, golden breadcrumb coating, into succulent bites of chicken…
This recipe is a slightly more grown-up, much tastier and healthier version of the kids classic, chicken nuggets and chips. It’s for those days when you yearn for childish food. You want something simple and comforting. Something that can be eaten with your fingers, dipped into your condiment of choice and happily scoffed with guilt-free abandon.
Pretty perfect as it is, but add the tiniest hint of rosemary and the occasional hit of chilli and suddenly this crispy baked chicken gets even more exciting. Oh, an one more thing. This is baked chicken so you get all of the crunch but none of the grease!
Fan of Crispy Chicken? Try this too…
Now as you know, I’m certainly not one to be bossy, but if you’re going to go to the trouble of making this rather fabulous crispy chicken, then it seems a shame not to enjoy it with its natural bedfellow, the gorgeously gooey sweet potato fry (or rather, a whole bowl for them if possible).
- 40 g plain flour
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 large egg
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 450 g skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- Spray oil (optional)
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C
- Line 3 baking trays with baking paper
- Put the flour, paprika and rosemary on a plate and season well with salt and pepper
- Whisk the egg in a bowl
- Put the panko breadcrumbs and chilli flakes in another bowl and season well
- Cut any fat off the chicken and then slice into strips
- Take each strip and coat in the flour, shake off the excess and then dip in the egg
- Roll each strip in the breadcrumbs and place 2 of the baking trays
- If you have some spray oil then give the chicken a spray. This will help it turn golden.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice them into fries
- Add the paprika and oil and mix so they are all coated
- Place them on the third baking tray and put them in the oven for 10 minutes
- Now turn them over and add the chicken to the oven.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes
- Remove when the fries are soft and the chicken crispy on the outside with no pink on the inside.
- I use scissors to cut the chicken into strips - I find it much easier than cutting with a knife