Recipe: Mum’s Macaroni Cheese
Have I said before that I love pasta? Ummm…yes, probably. Always worth repeating though and this, macaroni cheese, is my favourite of all the pasta dishes. It’s pure comfort in a bowl.
Another one where we should probably turn a blind eye to such things as calories and fat content. This is comfort time for goodness sake!
Mum’s Macaroni Cheese
You will need:
1 chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper (sometimes I just use 1/2 the pepper – especially if I’m including a chilli)
Approx 5 slices unsmoked bacon
1.5 oz butter
1.5 oz plain flour
1 pt milk
1 tsp mustard powder
6-8 oz mature Cheddar (depending how cheesy you like it)
1 chilli (optional)
breadcrumbs to top (optional) why not jazz them up a bit?
- Turn the oven on to 180C
- Melt the butter in a medium to large pan and then add the onion, pepper, chilli (if using) and bacon. Fry until the onion is translucent and the bacon cooked
- Add the flour and mustard powder and stir into the mix on a gentle heat for a minute
- Start to add the milk a little bit at a time. Once it’s been absorbed into the sauce then add a bit more and keep going until all the milk has been used.
- Now add the cheese (leaving some behind to sprinkle on top) and stir into the sauce until it has all melted
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to the packet instruction (leaving a little al dente)
- Put the cooked macaroni into an ovenproof dish and pour the sauce over so it covers everything.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs (if using)
- Cook for 20-30 mins
Serving suggestion – loads of ketchup!